Tier 5


This category is for those coming to the United Kingdom through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice through work placements, whilst experiencing the wider social and cultural setting of the United Kingdom. This category cannot be used to fill job vacancies or provide a way to bring unskilled labor to the United Kingdom.

There are four types of the scheme approved under the government authorised exchange sub-category:
Work experience programme – this includes volunteering, job-shadowing, internships and approved work experience programmes; 

Research programme – this includes only those working on specific scientific, academic, medical or government research projects at UK higher education institutions or other research organisations. They are for those undertaking development Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) placements to build and/or enhance foreign language skills and foster good cultural relations in the UK.

Training programme – this includes only those receiving formal, practical training in the fields of science and/or medicine, those receiving training by HM armed forces or UK emergency services, or those who lawfully obtained the UK recognised bachelor or postgraduate degree (not a qualification of equivalent level which is not a degree) during their last grant of leave. 

By being sponsored to undertake a period of postgraduate professional training or work experience which is required to obtain a professional qualification or professional registration in the same professional field.

Sponsor will not be filling a permanent vacancy, such that the employer you are directed to work for by the sponsor does not intend to employ you in the UK after the end of the training or work experience for which you are being sponsored.

One of the requirements of Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) category is that those coming to the United Kingdom must be able to support themselves for the entire duration of their stay in the United Kingdom without the use of public funds (benefits provided by the state). Anyone who is unable to support themselves could face financial hardship because they will not have access to most state benefits.

An applicant given permission to stay in this category, will be able to live and work in the UK for a maximum of time of 12 or 24 months or time given in his certificate of sponsorship. to a total of 24 months if they remain with the same sponsor.



UK visas can sometimes take months before the decision is taken on them by the Home Office. We are registered and regulated by the OISC and if you are making in-country applications we can submit your application in the PEO and get the decision on the same day. The appointments need to be booked in advance and due to high demand it worthwhile to apply earliest possible