Tier 2


Employers in the United Kingdom can recruit workers from outside the EEA to fill vacancies for which they cannot find a suitable qualified British or EEA worker. If you have an offer of a skilled job that cannot be filled by a settled worker. This category includes applicants coming to the UK to fill shortage occupations.

Any Tier 1 category.
  • Tier 2 (General).
  • Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer: Established Staff) if you are applying to change sponsor;
  • Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer), under the rules in place before 6 April 2010 if you are applying to change sponsor.
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson);
  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion);
  • Tier 4 student
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) in the Creative and Sporting sub-category, for a job as a professional footballer     switching into Tier 2 (Sportsperson) only
  • Dependant partner of a Tier 4 student;
  • Highly Skilled Migrant Programme;
  • Innovator;
  • Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme;
  • International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme);
  • Business and Commercial work permits (except multiple entry work permits) including Intra-Company Transfer     work permits;
  • Sports and Entertainment work permits (except multiple entry work permits); 
  • Jewish Agency Employee;
  • Member of the Operational Ground Staff of an Overseas-owned Airline;
  • Minister of Religion, Missionary or Member of a Religious Order;
  • Overseas Qualified Nurse or Midwife3;
  • Person Writing Up a Thesis3;
  • Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist3;
  • A representative of an Overseas Business;
  • A representative of an Overseas Newspaper, News Agency or Broadcasting Organisation;
  • Student3;
  • Student Nurse3;
  • Student Re-Sitting an Examination3;
  • Student Union Sabbatical Officer3

16. If you are switching from one of the following categories:
  • Tier 4;
  • Student;
  • Student Nurse;
  • Student Re-Sitting an Examination;
  • Person Writing Up a Thesis;
  • Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist;
  • An Overseas Qualified Nurse or Midwife; or
  • Student Union Sabbatical Officer.

You can only switch into Tier 2 if you meet the following criteria:
You must have successfully completed and passed a UK recognised bachelor’s or master’s degree, Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education or have completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK Ph.D. during your current period of leave or a period of continuous leave1 which includes your last grant of leave; and

You studied for the eligible award at a UK institution that is a UK recognised or listed body, or an education provider which holds a licence for sponsoring students under Tier 4 of the Points-Based System; and

You are applying from inside the UK. There is an annual limit on the number of Certificates of Sponsorship available under Tier 2 (General). This limit applies to Certificate of Sponsorship for those nationals seeking entry clearance to the UK under the Tier 2 (General) category and those who are applying to switch into Tier 2 (General) category from within the UK as a dependant of a Tier 4 (General) student. We refer to these as “restricted” Certificates of Sponsorship.

UK visas can sometimes takes months before the decision is taken on them by the Home Office. We are registered and regulated by the OISC and if you are making in country applications we can submit your application in the PEO and get decision on the same day. The appointments need to be booked in advance and due to high demand it worthwhile to apply the earliest possible.